- This event has passed.
Solar for Strata webinar
September 21, 2021 @ 5:30 pm - 6:30 pmFree
Traditionally apartments have had a lower uptake of solar at 0.6%, compared to 22% of residential houses. The challenge has been for owners in strata schemes to identify the best model for solar on their building taking into account the physical characteristics of the building and the desires of owners in the strata community.
Inner West Council is now supporting apartments and townhouses (strata) to go solar. The timing is good as in February 2021, a NSW Strata Schemes Management Amendment (Sustainability Upgrades) Bill was passed to make it easier for owners and owners corporations to make sustainability improvements including installing rooftop solar panels, solar batteries and electric vehicle charging points.
- Why solar for apartments?
- Overcoming the barriers for body corporates
- What are the selection criteria for participation in Council’s Solar for Strata program?
- Solar feasibility: what’s involved?
- Solar financing models & government rebates
- Case studies
There are four models of rooftop solar usage for strata properties:
- Solar for sole use in common areas,
- Solar for sole use by individual lots (townhouses)
- Solar for shared use between common areas and participating apartments
- Solar for shared use for apartments which operate as an embedded network .
The good news is that preliminary investigations have revealed over 200 great apartment block and mixed use strata buildings in the Inner West across the four categories which would see a payback on a solar system within 5-7 years.
If you are a strata resident, committee member, strata manager, building or facilities manager you could be eligible for:
- A free solar feasibility assessment conducted by independent industry specialists
- A detailed report which clearly illustrates the environmental and financial case for rooftop solar
- Phone/online video conferencing support at strata meetings, if requested, to help communicate
To find out more visit Inner West Council’s Go Solar for Strata campaign web page.
About the presenter
Brent Clark is CEO and founder of energy consultancy, Wattblock. Wattblock has assisted apartment buildings housing over 60,000 residents with solar feasibility, energy efficiency and electric vehicle charging reports. Wattblock’s projects include working for Advance Queensland, the NSW Department of Planning, Industry & Environment, North Sydney, Lane Cove, Mosman and Woollahra Councils and the City of Ryde. Brent specialises in breaking down the barriers to solar for strata and apartment buildings.
This free webinar is put on by the Green Living Centre, an initiative of Inner West Council. It is free for residents of the Inner West local government area. If you have any questions about the webinar please email email@example.com or phone 9392 5932.